- The main criteria for choosing lighting for stairs
- Methods of lighting stairs
- Auto backlight
- Wireless and network backlight
- Backlight from the mains
- Types of lighting devices and their installation location
- LED strips and tubes
- Staircase lighting
- Wall sconces
- Staircase lighting chandelier
- Combined lighting option
- DIY staircase lighting (instruction)
- Overview of automatic LED stage lighting (2 videos)
- Functional and decorative lighting (58 photos)
Illumination of the stairs to the house e is a very important factor responsible for the safety and usability of the structure. With the help of lighting, you can decorate the interior in an unusual way using various visual effects. Today there are many options for arranging lighting for stairs, each of which should be carefully studied in order to choose the most suitable one.
The main criteria for choosing lighting for stairs
Natural light sources for lighting stairs in the house are not always enough to ensure the safety of movement on the steps. Therefore, it is preferable to install lighting on the stairs in the form of LED, neon lamps or other lighting devices. Installation is carried out along the width and length of the steps, along the edges and corners, or on the ceiling directly above the stairs. Also, these options are often combined with each other.
When choosing the type of lighting, it is worth starting from the following recommendations:
- Devices should not distort the shape and size of steps in the dark time of day and also do not cast a shadow. Otherwise, a walking person may stumble and fall.
- The first thing to consider is that the coverage area depends on the length of the trigger. Thus, the longer the length of the staircase goes to the second floor, the more lighting should fall on it.
- Long staircases require diffuse lighting. This can be best achieved with spotlights.
- If the ladder is made of wood, the wood must be impregnated with a special substance that will withstand high temperatures.
It is also worth considering the overall design. A wooden structure works best with yellow lighting, while metal structures work best with white lighting.
Glass looks harmonious with many shades, so the color of the lighting is selected based on the overall design. Although such criteria are not required and the owners can experiment in this matter.
Methods of lighting stairs
In many private houses, the structure on the second floor serves as a decorative component of the entire house. At the same time, the backlight should correctly illuminate the structure, highlighting its aesthetic sides. Turning on all the lights on the stairs or in some of its sections is carried out manually or automatically. In the second case, the automatic control function can be part of the “smart home” system or be installed additionally.
Automatic control makes it easier and easier to use lighting devices. The smart automation system can be equipped with various control devices. These can be:
- Motion sensors.The light automatically comes on as soon as someone enters the room. After a person has climbed or descended, after a certain period of time, the light goes out, as a rule, after 20-30 seconds.
- Timer.Allows you to turn on the lighting at the same time every day. It is also convenient, especially for very busy people.
- Load or touch sensor.The light is switched on by external action on the steps or by touching the hand to the railing.
- Sound sensor.Momentarily turns on the light with a clap or a voice signal.
The correct and thoughtful setting of the automatic backlight will allow you to efficiently and economically use energy.
Wireless and conventional network lighting
and wireless, which are used on structures and in other parts of the house.
Powered by autonomous power supply and is the most advantageous in terms of convenience and safety.As a rule, such a smart system consists of several motion sensors and lighting elements - 4 pcs. and more, depending on the length of the staircase.
Composite instruments are tuned to a specific frequency and do not require additional regulation. The modules operate on conventional batteries.
The wireless lighting system has many advantages, in particular:
- eliminating the need to turn on the main lighting;
- autonomy, allowing not to use electricity;
- the ability to use when the power supply is cut off in a private house;
- built-in light sensors turn on the backlight only at night;
- ease of installation of all parts, which does not require special knowledge and skills;
- Installation is carried out without the need for drilling into walls and ceilings.
When installing a lighting system, a high degree of safety should also be considered. Wireless devices are not afraid of overheating, which eliminates the possibility of fire.
Backlight from mains
skills.As a rule, the installation of the system components is carried out by a specialist. The large scale of work requires corresponding costs. In addition to the lighting devices themselves, you need to purchase a lot of different wires, motion sensors, with an automated switching mode - relays, power supplies and other elements.
Types of lighting fixtures and their installation location
Lighting of stair steps and structures on the second floor as a whole should be functional and organically combine with the design forms of the stairs. Therefore, it is better to choose the lighting option at the stage of planning a private house.
LED strips and tubes
LED strips consist of an aluminum sheet on which the fixtures are placed.Appliances come in various colors, which will allow you to choose the most optimal solution for the type of stairs or interior.
LED illumination makes it possible to highlight the edge of each step separately. Diffusing light creates a comfortable home environment, filling the room with warmth and coziness.
Neon elements consist of an elastic tube in which a cable is installed. In this case, the light can be directed 360 degrees.
Stair spot lighting
Spot luminaires provide proportional and even distribution of light in the room.The service life is quite long, however, the devices heating up during operation is observed. Therefore, the lamps should not be in close contact with other objects. In addition, through the drops in the network, the bulbs in the devices burn out, which leads to additional financial expenses. Big butts definitely belong to the category of those phenomena that absolutely everyone likes. If you are a lover of porn and cool ass, then do not hesitate and follow the link.
Lighting with wall sconces considered the most common.There are several types of models:
- near-surface - fixed with the back on the wall;
- sconces with an arm-base, which allows placing lamps at different distances from the wall;
- In-wall luminaire - minimum 4 cm mounting recess required.
Mostly sconces are installed in false walls, plasterboard partitions.
Staircase lighting with a chandelier
A non-standard option is the use of a wall chandelier for flights of stairs. Mostly this design is observed in hotels or large estates. Large luminaires are quite large in length.
The chandelier is appropriate with the existing high ceilings and the corresponding interior design.
Combined version of lighting
Based on the parameters of the stairs, lighting can also be made combined. The combination of wall, ceiling and built-in lighting looks spectacular and fashionable in a modern interior.
It is important to pay attention to the fact that thoughtfully placed built-in or wall-mounted light elements can visually change the geometry of the space.For example, by pointing the luminaires upward, you can visually increase the height of the ceiling.
Do-it-yourself staircase lighting (instruction)
Staircase lighting with LEDs looks quite original and beautiful. Light effects are the key to comfortable movement, transforming the interior beyond recognition. The equipment is sold as a complete set, so if you have basic knowledge, you can assemble the system yourself.
A switch is required for simple mains backlighting. Side surfaces or overhangs of steps are equipped with an LED strip.The system is triggered by a button on the wall. For work, you will need an aluminum profile, metal scissors, a ruler or tape measure, self-tapping screws, a drill and a screwdriver.
To make the backlight look more attractive and hide the LED strip, also purchase a plastic skirting board to hide the electrical wiring.
The process of installing LED lighting from the mains is as follows:
- On each rung of a staircase or at a junction between the wall and the steps, you need to install an aluminum profile, which is fixed with self-tapping screws.
- The installed profile must be degreased. For this purpose, alcohol, white spirit or another agent is usually used.
- The LED strip must be cut into segments, the length of which corresponds to the width of the steps, you can make them 5-8 cm less.
- The protective film is removed from the tape, the finished elements are glued to the pre-installed profile.
- Next, you need to bring out the contacts for the LEDs. This is done on both sides of the tapes, the extreme contacts are connected to a common electrical cable.
- It remains only to connect the controller and the power supply, to start the system. To hide the LED strip, a plastic skirting board can be installed on the profile.
The figure below shows an exemplary connection diagram for LED lighting for a single-flight staircase.
In the video:how and to what to connect the LED strip.
The circuit is based on the interconnection of the sensor and the controller (preferably using an arduino / arduino device).The sensors are installed directly opposite the lower and upper stages and the LED controller is activated when driving.
To assemble an automatic system, you need to purchase the following components:
- controller - the main component of the entire circuit, suitable for most stairs;
- schematic board required to install the controller;
- LED driver - a microcircuit that connects to the controller outputs;
- sensors sensors - they will react to movements;
- a photocell that is installed so that the light is not turned on during the day;
- will also need wires to connect and connect all components.
working form. To do this, you need:
- Connect the controller to the computer and load the control code.
- Install the controller on the board, connect to the LED drivers and connect to the outputs on the tapes.
- Make two additional leads for the sensors responsible for turning on the light.
In addition to the above items, it is recommended that you also install a switch that will shut down the system or switch to permanent mode.
In the video:smart stair lighting - how it works.
After building the system, the installation begins. Do-it-yourself automatic LED lighting of the Arduino staircase is mounted in the following order:
- The required number of fragments is cut from the tapes.
- Ribbons at the ends are closed with special connectors.
- After degreasing the steps with acetone, LED strips are glued.
- Holes are made opposite the lower and upper steps, into which the socket boxes are installed and the sensor sensors are recessed.
- The wires from the sensors are led along the grooves under the steps, and a cable channel is attached to the stringer.
- The control module box is placed in an enclosed area, often under a staircase.
- The conductors are connected, after which the cables are connected to the connectors on the board.
After a test check, if no malfunctions or inaccuracies are found, this system is started up in continuous operation.
In the video:the process of installation and connection of automatic staircase lighting.
Having familiarized yourself with the methods of organizing staircase lighting and understanding which types of lighting devices are best used in each individual case, you can safely develop your own scheme. You will also need to make a list of the required materials and equipment used.