Today decoupage boxes are very popular among connoisseurs of beauty. And this is not surprising. With the help of such art, you can express your creative abilities, and as a result, you can acquire a valuable and exclusive thing.What is decoupage? This is a unique technique that allows you to apply a pattern to a variety of surfaces. Not only a box, but also a book and other items can be used as a working material. Today we are going to take a look at how to transform an old casket.
Required tools and materials (MC)
To apply an image to the product, you must have the following materials:
- special napkins for decoupage;
- decoupage glue;
- wax candle;
- scotch tape and various decorative elements;
The exact list of tools and materials depends on what technique will be used to apply the pattern. It should be borne in mind that before decorating, it is necessary to prepare the surface. Below we propose to consider a detailed master class for decorating a box with your own hands in the decoupage style.
Technique for performing decoupage
Having all the necessary materials and tools, you can proceed directly to creative activity.It should be noted that wood is considered the best option for decoupage. A book or plastic product can be used if desired.
Stages of decoupage execution of a wooden box:
1. First, you need to prepare the surface of the box.If we are talking about a thing made of wood, then the base should be carefully processed with sandpaper. High-quality surface preparation will be the key to successful decoration of the box. This is especially true for old products.
2. If there are metal decorative elements on the object, then it is better to remove them for a while. You can solve this issue with a screwdriver or other tools at hand. When the surface is prepared, you can start tinting it. Here we are talking about its complete painting with acrylic paints.
3. At this stage, the selected pattern is transferred to the surface. Ready-made drawings can be purchased at specialty stores. The part with the image is carefully separated from the napkin.
4. Elements of the picture are carefully applied to the prepared surface. Selected places on the product are processed with decoupage glue. After that, you will need to wait until the glue is completely dry.
5. At this stage, the item is varnished several times. When the surface is completely dry, you can proceed to the direct decoration. To begin with, the old decorative elements are fixed in place. At the same time, they take into account the style in which the product itself will be made out. In some cases, a rational solution would be to change or completely remove certain decorative elements.
It is necessary to take into account the style of the product itself. Decoupage of a wooden box provides for its decoration, up to the change of all decorative elements and accessories.
On the video: Decoupage of a box with antique scuffs
Decoupage in different styles
Decoupage for beginners is a creative activity. Even using the instructions does not deprive the product of originality. After this technique, the box or book will become original in its kind. Before proceeding with the conversion of the product, it is worth considering all the options available.
The design can be done in different styles:
- shabby chic.
The most common option is decoupage stylevintage .With the help of certain tricks, the box can be somewhat aged. To achieve the maximum effect, experts recommend using the craquelure technique. The aging effect is created using paint that is applied directly to the prepared surface. To begin with, use dark colors, and lighter colors are applied on top of them.
Stages of decoupage in vintage style:
1. First coat can be applied with brown paint, then wait to dry the surface.
2. Next, start creating the scuff effect. For this, a small amount of wax is applied to the edges of the product. This will make the second coat of paint a little rubbed.
2. Apply a second coat of paint, only of a lighter shade. The best option is white, light gray and beige.
3. When the paint is dry, rub lightly with sandpaper.The treatment is carried out until the bottom layer of paint comes out.
3. At the final stage, the product is decorated. The best option here would be retro pictures, roses and other patterns. Craquelure technique is also often used for decoration. Such a box using decoupage technique will become an original decoration for any interior of the room.
Decoupage in the style ofProvence is no less popular. The work is carried out in the same sequence. Of course, there are some peculiarities here. For decoration, flower patterns or rustic motifs are used. It is rational to use bed shades of paint. The aging effect is also appropriate here.Using the craquelure technique, you can create the appearance of cracking the pattern.
The Provence style is ideal for transforming a round box.
A box in the style ofshabby chic is decorated in much the same way as in the previous techniques. Typical features are bed tones, old pictures, images of flowers, twigs and other "delicate" details. Shabby chic is used to decorate various objects, regardless of their shape and size. This is especially true for products made in the form of a book.