- Basic lighting rules
- Safety issues
- Lamp types and selection criteria
- Incandescent lamp
- Halogen versions
- Why are fluorescent types good?
- LED type lighting
- Calculation of the optimal power rating
- Correct installation locations for the luminaires
- Types of luminaires and methods of their fastening
- Types of lighting
- Lighting options
- Small bathtub
- Decorative lighting
- Ceiling lighting
- Lighting on floor
- Mirror illumination
- Bath illumination
- Light zoning
- Multilevel lighting
- How to make mirror illumination with your own hands (2 videos)
- Lighting design in the bathroom (70 photos)
The choice of lighting fixtures is determined not only by the room, but also by the personal tastes of the owners. Some people prefer standard shaped shades located in the center, while others prefer spotlights. Let's take a look at how to arrange bathroom lighting to help create the right atmosphere.
Basic Lighting Rules
It seems that the selection of lighting fixtures is not that difficult. But the bathroom differs from the rest at least in that there is almost no natural light inside.One light bulb is not enough to provide adequate comfort. It is necessary to make an intense light, general or local.
The modern market offers many solutions in this direction. You need to choose what is ideal for a particular room. For example, small and spacious areas require different proportions, both in intensity and in the placement of light sources.
This requirement can be attributed, perhaps, to the most important. When choosing lighting devices, you need to carefully study the index with the markings. Their decoding will be as follows:
- The first number is to indicate how protected the device is from dust.If there is no protection, it is 0. Full protection is indicated as 6, this is an important indicator.
- The second digit is for the level of moisture protection.If it is 8, the moisture resistance is complete. This means that the device will withstand even if it is immersed directly in water for a long time. But appliances with the number 0 are not suitable for bathrooms at all.
- The third digit is the impact resistance value.This indicator can range from 0 to 10. If the value is maximum, then the formation of dents, chips and cracks after mechanical influences with a force of up to 20 J. Some manufacturers refuse to indicate impact resistance, then the index will have only two digits.
IP 442 is the optimal level to provide protection against negative factors. The location and operating conditions must always be taken into account. The marking must be at least IP 674 in the case of luminaires inside showers, next to washbasins. IP 452 is a marking suitable for ceiling areas in the same premises.
Types of lamps and selection criteria
from the competent location of the lamps, but also from the power of the lamps. Usually one suitable main device is selected, which is supplemented by several auxiliary devices. This model is also suitable for suspended ceilings.
Overhead lighting in the bathroom does not exclude the possibility of using combinations. For example, the usual plafond for the ceiling, in addition to which spotlights serve.
Depending on certain factors, there are several types of lamps:
- By application...Here we are talking about additional decorative lighting, or general, working, main. In each case, the location of the devices is selected separately.
- By lamp type.Metal halide, LED, fluorescent, incandescent, halogen lamps can be distinguished.
- By location.The presence of protrusions above the surface allows us to talk about working with types of closed or open devices.
- Supported by work areas.Luminaires can be found above the bathroom or in cupboards, near mirrors or doors.
It is advisable to calculate the load from the electrical network in the bathroom even at the planning stage. It is recommended to install a separate machine on the branch due to the presence of high humidity. Then the network will receive additional protection against short circuits, and fewer problems arise during its organization.
Simple operation coupled with affordable prices have made these products very popular.When switched on, the lamp comes on immediately, which makes it especially functional. The performance of the product is practically independent of the ambient temperature.
But there are also a number of disadvantages. For example, a low level of luminous flux along with a short service life of only 100 hours. The bulbs get very hot, and therefore, under some circumstances, their use becomes impossible.
It is not allowed to install an incandescent lamp in a lamp with a small lampshade, with a variety of plastic shades or products on a textile basis.
Such lamps more often used in so-called spots. The main advantages are long service life, high light output.It is intended to use an aluminum diffuser, for which thermal radiation will not be a problem, so that it can be used in spotlights regardless of which surface they are mounted on.
The power of such lamps is in the range of 12-50 watts. In the first case, additional installation of a low-voltage transformer will be required.
What are the advantages of fluorescent types?
Luminous flux and service life are even greater than previous models. It is intended to use different types of phosphor, which are responsible for creating different shades.For example, with such products, the light can be natural cold, warm white, daylight, and so on.
Tube models can be used as independent light sources. This design has a drawback only in the sense that it actively reacts when the temperature and pressure drop, after which the product stops igniting. The work of light bulbs is by no means silent. It is characterized by the presence of a limiting power of up to 150 W.
in this they are a small amount of energy, whose consumption is active.Most often, lamps of this type are complemented by spotlights located on an area of 1 square meter and are used to create special lighting strips. Even thin glass will not suffer from them.
Calculation of the optimal power indicator
The level of illumination largely determines how comfortable it will be in a particular room.After all, this indicator can even affect not only our nervous system, but also vision. Therefore, appropriate standards have been created, which indicate how many lumens should be used per square meter. This will allow you to understand which models illuminate the premises.
But when buying, many pay more attention to the energy consumed, which is measured in watts. The brightness of light under specific circumstances is determined precisely by the lumens. It depends on how the interior of the bathroom will look like.
200 lumens per square will be enough for most bathrooms:
- With 40-80W LEDs, 6000 lumens are needed.
- 40 W fluorescent lamps require 2000 lumens, 200 W lamps require only 1500.
- Halogen lamps at 230 Volts and 42 W require 625 lumens. If the power is 70 W, then you will need to apply 1500 lumens. This must be remembered during repairs.
- In the case of conventional incandescent lamps, 200 lumens is sufficient. At 100 watts, 1350 lumens are needed.
Correct places to install lamps
Light streams are always in short supply. Therefore, the ideal option is recognized when the entire system has three levels:
- Upper level - ceiling lighting in the bathroom.Usually they mean a chandelier, which is mounted in the middle of the ceiling. But, if the room is small, it is recommended to give preference to point options. For example, in the form of several small shades, evenly spaced on the ceiling, or along a common perimeter.
- Bathroom lighting for work areas.Assumes providing backlighting for areas of primary importance. Here, sconces are usually used together with lamps, they are often located near mirrors, sinks and shower stalls. To illuminate the working areas of the space, the brightness of the light is important.
- Lower lighting in the bathroom.There are more decorative elements than functional ones. Structures are needed to decorate any part of the room. The backlight is used in various types, but more often it is LED.
Types of luminaires and how to fix them
The market offers the widest range of lighting equipment, which allows everyone to choose the ideal option that suits exactly in one case or another. Design intent, technical parameters and installation method - these are what you should rely on when choosing.
The fastening method allows distinguishing three types of construction:
- Built-in.These are the so-called "spots", spotlights. In a small bathroom, they can easily serve as the main or additional lighting. Installation involves the use of special ears, carried out in the base of the suspended ceilings. The main thing is that the ceiling cavity does not exceed 12 centimeters in the case of incandescent lamps, and 7 centimeters for halogen lamps.
- Suspended.It is assumed that multi-arm chandeliers or single-lamp lamps are suspended directly from a metal hook in the ceiling. It is necessary to correctly select only the power of the main lamps so that the light flux does not irritate.
- Overhead.Many ceiling lights are like this. They are suitable for any surface that serves as a base in a particular room. They can be made the main or additional light source. Designs are supplied with metal or plastic lugs. Installation is carried out using hardware. Devices are most often produced with the preservation of the correct shapes, which is easy to see in the photo.
In the video:advice on choosing lamps for the bathroom.
Types of lighting
Lighting is divided into main, working, bottom or additional, as already mentioned above. Any lighting fixture can be used: chandelier, wall sconces, spot and pendant lights, overhead models. The most popular option is the point type of structures. Especially when additional comfort needs to be provided in the bathing area.
A convenient option for lighting in the bathroom - lamps with flexible arms. They are better protected from mechanical damage.
Bathroom lighting must be in the correct position. A classic ceiling chandelier can be easily supplemented with halogen spotlights; decorative lighting around the bathtub and the perimeter of the room is permissible.
Methods of modern design of a small bathroom are based on the fact that it is worth choosing the right color of the walls, equipment and decorative elements.The main thing is to ensure that the shadows inside the room practically disappear. The light should be bright, but not blinding.
Single luminaires are used, but they do not distribute energy evenly throughout the room. It is better to properly use multiple structures located on the ceiling or walls. There are different options for lighting the bathroom, photos will help you choose the right one.
LED illumination - the best option for water treatments in the morning or evening.Different types of LED strip allow you to implement any design ideas. The space of the bathroom will visually increase if you place many mirrors around the work area.
It is recommended to select special dimmers to control the light intensity. This contributes to creating the right lighting in the bathroom.
Sometimes you can make it so that just the light will create a unique atmosphere. There are many options for decorative lighting that are not only beautiful but also practical.
Light colors are not the only option. You can use a glossy ceiling in other colors, but so that its surface is mirrored.Then the correct solution is the lighting equipment, which seems to protrude somewhat above the surface of the ceiling.
a variety of LED spotlights.
Floor lighting creates an atmosphere that is more relaxing.Pedestals and bathtub sides are often designed with LED strips and spotlights. The latter are often embedded in decorative screens, niches, under the bathroom, as well as in skirting boards.
The issue of lighting in the bathroom mirror is one of the more pressing ones. A great option is to install lighting elements around the object or use built-in models that are mounted around the perimeter. LED equipment, fluorescent lamps are the best choice under such circumstances.The main thing is to make sure that there is no glare in the mirror and additional glare, they will only interfere.
The correct light from the mirror should hit the face, but evenly. On the sides, as well as above the mirror surfaces, sconces are mounted under a lampshade or lamps with frosted glasses.
The bath itself can also be illuminated. For this, two lamps are most often installed, one of which is directly above the bathroom. The LED strip around the perimeter of the bath will be the best solution if there is a lack of light during water procedures.Colored LED illumination for additional healing effects.
Using zoning, you can highlight certain zones in the room. In the case of a bathroom, this approach means illuminating work areas, for example, near a mirror, sink, cabinets, etc.LED bathroom lighting in the area of hooks and shelves has an attractive appearance. Such illumination is quite enough for normal functioning and use of space.
Bathroom just one of the rooms where you can often observe some multi-tiered. The same thing happens in the toilet. The upper level is any lighting element located at a distance of 180 centimeters or more from the floor. Here, there can be several light sources, or one can be used. On the realization of fantasy and ideas, you do not need to choose one, there are no restrictions.
The middle level is located approximately in the same place as the human eyes. It is important here to illuminate the area where the mirrors are located. It all depends on what kind of manipulations are carried out most often.
Lower level - no more than 10 centimeters from floor level. In this case, we are often talking about various types of decorative lighting. The best options are LED strips or spotlights.